Among the more popular quotations attributed to Harry Selfridge, of Selfridge Department Store fame.:
- People will sit up and take notice of you if you will sit up and take notice of what makes them sit up and take notice.
- The boss drives his men; the leader coaches them.
- The boss depends upon authority, the leader on goodwill.
- The boss inspires fear; the leader inspires enthusiasm.
- The boss says “I”; the leader, “we.”
- The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown.
- The boss knows how it is done; the leader shows how.
- The boss says “Go”; the leader says “Let’s go!”
- The customer is always right.
“What we gain too easily, we value too lightly” Unknown author
|“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official.” Theodore Roosevelt
“When told the reason for daylight savings time, the Old Indian said, “Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.” Unknown.
“If the government were in charge of the Sahara Desert, it would be out of sand in five years.” Milton Freidman.
“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” – Will Rogers
“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. ”
“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official.” Teddy Roosevelt.
“I will now give you my ideas about finance. In the first place the Government does not support the people, the people support the Government.” From an 1876 speech by Civil War veteran, orator and Republican Party figure Robert Ingersoll.
“The very point of constitutional government is to place limits on the will of temporary majorities.” unknown